Gu Zhaohui, Songjiang No.1 High School
June 2nd, 2009
Title: What Price Is Wisdom
1. To help the students have a general idea of the passage, internalize the wisdom of parents’ teaching and know the meaning of some words (counsel,collected, tutor)
2. To develop the students’ strategy of reading (such as inference) and practising their skimming and scanning skills
3. To arouse the students’ awareness of treasuring the wisdom of parents’ teaching
Teaching Aids: Multimedia
Ask the students “What do you think of your parents’ teaching/advice?” to lead in the topic.
1. Have the students read the first paragraph to know most people’s opinion on parent’s teaching.
2. Ask the students to read the second paragraph to understand many young people’s different opinion and the author’s attitude. Meanwhile, help the students’ to infer the content of the next paragraph with the help of a transitional sentence and understand the structure of the whole passage.
3. Ask the students to read the third paragraph to understand why
parents’ teaching is of primary importance and full of wisdom. Help the students to know the function of comparison.
4. Have the students to read the fourth and last paragraph to find out the author’s conclusion and suggestions. Ask them to answer the teacher’s questions to check their understanding of this paragraph and even the whole passage. At the same time, help the students infer the meaning of a word according to the context/ main idea/ main factors.
1. Ask the students to reread the title and explain its real meaning to check whether they have comprehended what they have read.
2. Have the students to read the whole passage again within 3 minutes. Then ask them to express their thoughts about parents’ teaching with the help of the teacher and make sure that they use the information they have learned in the passage.
1. Read the passage after class.
2. Complete the paragraph : I come to realize that parents’ teaching is _____, because _____. (about 60 words)What price is wisdom.ppt